Skip to main content

CG Character Development Session 31 Cont'd

Session Review

Creating the sharp edges for the canine teeth
Continuing from where I left off yesterday evening, I have found the creation of the gums surprisingly rather easy straightforward, which is excellent since it was simply just a pipe shape that is cut in half.

However, during Ryan Kittleson's instructions for the row o teeth instead of creating an instance of duplicated teeth, I created a copy of my tooth and hid them using the layer system in order for me to shape the two canine teeth. For if I tried shaping the front teeth as fangs all the teeth would be affected since they are duplicated as instances.

Furthermore, it was interesting to learn during the  smoothing of the teeth I had to create additional edge loops both
vertically and horizontally along the edges of the teeth cubes in order to make the teeth appear as curved squares instead of looking like pebbles when smoothing is applied.

Moreover, Kittleson instructed to make the gums the parent object to the teeth and this means when the gums are moved so are the teeth and in order to do this simply select all the desired objects and select the parent object last and hit P.

Towards the end of the class session,  lecturer Jaime gave good feedback and it was to thicken my characters lips and shape the head further until it looks less blocky in appearance. In addition, he commented that I should thicken the second ear I made as well, however, continue to clean up the geometry until every face is a quad.

Overall I am pleased with my current progress although Jaime's advice on sculpting my character in Zbrush to apply further detail and I personally want to gain experience in Zbrush so I can push my 3d skills further,


References

http://www.boutique23.com/characters/31-filipo.html

http://www.3dmodelfree.com/imguploads/Image/0905/models_7/3d/3dcool/22.jpg

http://www.medicalook.com/systems_images/Teeth_large.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=uv+head+model&espv=2&biw=1058&bih=921&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnxqrR47rJAhVI7BQKHcjXADIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=yGwseL44T5gUtM%3A


By Sebastian Jones

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nomad Production: Finishing Touches

Session Notes Taking a moment to resume progress with the character I have made sure each part of the model's vertices, uv mapping, textures and topology areas clean and organised as possible before attempting to pose the character in Zbrush. using a plugin named Transpose However, while successfully importing a clean model of my character into Zbrush using the spheres to rig the character proved challenging considering I am still new to some of Zbrush's features and thus proved far too time-consuming for the academic deadline. Nevertheless, I have downloaded KeyShot 5 and attempted to render features of the nomad such as the tribal mask and truly show it off by making the render look as detailed as possible. Browsing ArtStation once more and observing others renders I pasted and edited a lovely forest green grunge background along with applying subtle lighting effects I learned from Photography to create a colour and vibrant render sheet. Henceforth, after combini...

Playing Around in ZBrush

Session Notes Playing around n ZBrush! ..... References http://docs.pixologic.com/getting-started/sculpting-a-head/ http://docs.pixologic.com/getting-started/basic-concepts/2d-and-3d-navigation/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4WL11hCGGA https://shop.3dtotal.com/training/training-ebooks-zbrush/cedric-seaut-s-character-modeling-download-only.html IMPORT FROM MAYA TO ZBRUSH http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=129098 http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?3878-Maya-model-into-ZBrush windows->settings and preferences->plugin manager enable the objexport plugin and you will see the option available in the export menu. The import button is located into ztool panel on the top left ! Yes, the Import button at the top of the Tool palette lets you import an OBJ mesh. If you ever wanted to import a DXF model, you would have to select the Polymesh3D tool and then use Tool>Inventory> Import with the DXF option active.26 Aug 2003 By ...

CG Character Development Session 46

Session Review Figure a Following on from the previous session, over the past week I have proceeded to create a series of my own texture in order to replace most of the ones I located across the internet in order to avoid plagiarism and make the nomad character as authentic in its production as possible. Figure b Moreover, considering that my other classmates have applied bump maps to their characters in order to add definition to their character's clothing. I recalled a free piece of software known as "Crazy Bump" which is a quick and easy way to create bump maps from image files. It is also worth mentioning that when applying the bump map that the type of bump map is set as shown in figure a.  The reason I chose to use my map as a "Tangent Space Normals" is because to my understanding from the tutorial it is normally used for standard game models according to the instructor. Additionally, the bump maps have applied a tremendous amount ...